New prices relative to raw material for meal and oil purposes
Prices relative to raw material for meal and oil purposes as from April 30 2018
Following a successful meeting with European Commissioner Maria Damanaki the EU pelagic fishing industry, which includes Scotland, says it is confident that appropriate trade sanction measures will be imposed against the Faroe Islands within a month from now.
These measures are a direct consequence of the country's
irresponsible behaviour in regards to their Atlantic
(Atlanto-Scandian) herring fishery. Earlier this year the Faroes
stepped outside the long standing agreed management arrangement for
the stock and set a quota share more than three times larger than
their traditional share (from 31,940t to 105,000t). In response to
this massive unilateral quota increase, the Marine Stewardship
Council recently suspended the MSC eco-label certificate for
the Faroese Atlantic herring fishery.
The European pelagic industry is also confident that associated species such as mackerel will be included in these sanction measures. In that regard the industry specifically requested that salmon be included in the trade sanctions. The Commissioner took on board that salmon was indeed an associated species as Faroese herring and mackerel are reduced to fish feed for their aquaculture industry.
Ian Gatt, chief executive of the Scottish Pelagic Fishermen's Association, said: "This was a very productive meeting with the Commissioner and moves to impose sanctions are gathering pace. The Commissioner stated her commitment to challenge the irresponsible behaviour of the Faroese which threatens not only the sustainability of an important fishery, but also the livelihoods of those employed within the European fishing sector."
The background for the industry's consistent plea for trade sanctions against Iceland and the Faroe Islands lies in their current mismanagement of both the mackerel and Atlantic herring stocks. Iceland has set an autonomous mackerel quota for 2013 of 123,000t or 22.7% of the science based 2013 TAC (total allowable catch) while the Faroe Islands has set an autonomous mackerel quota of 159,000t or 29.3% of the 2013 TAC. This means that in 2013 both countries will catch 52% of the overall 2013 TAC, whereas only as recently as 2006 their joint share in the mackerel catches was just over 5%.
Atlanto-Scandian herring at the centre of the dispute with the Faroes is a distinct stock of herring that is found in the north-east Atlantic and is separate from North Sea and West of Scotland herring.
Sourse: Scottish Pelagic Fishermen's Association
It has been a change in the fishmeal indicator of -2,69 %, the factor between fishoil and rapeoil is reducedfrom 66 to 59, and the oil-indicator is -9,32 %. There will consequently be changes in the minimum prices of raw material for fishmeal and -oil purpose. The new minimum prices for raw material used for fishmeal and -oil apply from 02.04. 2018.
The catching of capelin in the Barents Sea is now terminated, but it was another splendid week for blue whiting.
Pelagia is established in Skagen, Denmark, producing marinated herring.
This season’s best week for blue whiting – and the capelin quota, close to be taken.
On April 3, 2018, the Norwegian Coastal Administration (NCA) will introduce new booking regulations for ordering marine pilots. The regulations will thus be formalized and merged into one set ? Regulations on Compulsory Pilotage.
The season for capelin in the Barents Sea towards an end, but still high activity for blue whiting – if weather is cooperative.